Monday, July 7, 2014

Olympic Andrew

My first date with another Andrew from Tinder, Olympic Andrew, was quite an adventure. I met him at the Ginger Man in midtown for a drinks after work, and to watch Sabres/Rangers game since we are both Sabres fans. After ordering drinks, I suggested relocating to another bar down the street with more TV's. He started telling me that he'd been on Craigslist earlier, and we could go to the game if I wanted. Surprised, I immediately agreed, and we rushed down to Union Square to pick up the tickets, then came back to Madison Square Garden to watch the game. We had a blast, chatting with the other Buffalo fans throughout the game, and then getting more food and drinks at a nearby bar afterward. I was impressed, and excited to hang out with him again.

Unfortunately, the following week I was going to Buffalo for my grandfather's 80th birthday, then leaving for Costa Rica the week after that. During that week I would be in the area, he was heading down to Dallas for work. When he wanted to get together before I left for Buffalo, I explained that while I did want to see him again, I couldn't stay out for long since my flight out the next morning was early. Regardless, we met for Mexican that Tuesday night. The date paled in comparison to our first, and we hugged goodbye. After getting back to my apartment, I received texts from him saying that he "was disappointed [he] didn't get any kisses". Incredibly put off by his choice of words, I referred to an earlier conversation when I explained that my dad always told me that "boys chase girls, girls don't chase boys". If he wanted to kiss me, he should have made a move. He laughed, and said he wanted to make sure we got together when we were both back in town despite our conflicting travel schedules.

We continued texting over the weekend I was in Buffalo, including two conversation on Easter Sunday. He suggested possibly getting together that Sunday night after I got back from Buffalo, but there were no solid plans. He texted me Sunday morning saying his friends invited him to their Easter dinner, and couldn't make it. I didn't really think we would actually hang out, so wasn't disappointed or surprised. Later that night, he texted me saying Happy Easter, and asked how my weekend was, as if we hadn't spoken earlier that day. I knew he was out drinking and watching soccer all day, so I let it slide. There were several other times he asked me if I'd been out in Tinder dates, and seemed convinced that I was avoiding him, even though I kept explaining I was just busy with these trips. He tried to get me to meet up with him that Monday night, but I told him it wouldn't work for me. He left that Tuesday, and we both wouldn't be in town at the same time again until after I got back from Costa Rica.

Returning to work after 8 days in paradise was pretty brutal, and I spent the majority of that week coaching myself through my post-vacation depression, while trying to get back into my gym routine. Needless to say, I wasn't very excited to meet up with someone I barely knew, especially one who was pressuring me to make time for him so early. The day we were supposed to hang out, we had the following conversation.


I was convinced I would hear from him again, but surprisingly did not. He'd displayed some red flags earlier in our text convos, but I wasn't expecting to be berated by a man who was basically a stranger. Oh, he was also an Olympian, and that's why I call him Olympic Andrew. I've heard from friends that the athletes can be the craziest men out there, but this guy was certainly one of the rudest I've encountered.

No comments:

Post a Comment