Wednesday, July 23, 2014

You've Got Mail

I was waiting for the N Q R on a Wednesday morning at about 6AM. I needed to be to work by 6:30AM to train for the morning shift of my new job, and gave myself ample time to get to the office. Frustrated that a train hadn't arrived yet, I roped my hair into a bun in an effort to prevent any sweat from developing, and hoped a train would go by in either direction to at least stir the air in the hellish July subway tunnels.

Because it was so early, there weren't many other people waiting for the train, but I could see one guy further down the track pacing a bit. He starts walking in my direction, and all I can think is this MF-er better not try talking to me while I'm standing here sweating.

Within 30 seconds, he approaches me, saying, "Excuse me, do you know when the next R train is coming?" I said, "I have no idea, but I hope it comes soon because I’m really hot." He explained that he knew a Q train was coming at 6:10. He was getting nervous, though, because he wasn't sure what time he was supposed to be on set. Then he asked if he could use my phone to check his Gmail because his phone was dead. He thought he might have to be there at 7, and he still had to go home to get his stuff, so probably wouldn't make it there in time if that's when he had to be there. My concern about handing my phone to a stranger must have been written all over my face because he then said I could hold his phone if I wanted while he looked. So I hold his phone, and we’re trying to figure out how I can log myself out of Gmail so he can log in, and end up doing so through Safari instead of the Gmail app.

Meanwhile, I’m mentally preparing to chase him down the track Alicia Silverstone-style if he tries to take off with my iPhone.

He finally gets onto his own account, and he doesn’t have to be to set until like 10:45. I'm not sure how someone can be that far off with remembering when they need to be somewhere, especially early in the morning, but he seemed relieved. A Q train comes, and I say, "Ok well I’m going to take this train," and he gives me my phone back. He said he would take the train, too, so we board the subway together.

We sit down next to each other, and he asks me what I do. I told him I work for a bank, and was heading in earlier than usual to train for the early shift. This whole time, my primary concerns are no longer regarding the safety of my phone, but whether I've sweat through my dress yet or not. I am very thankful to be back in air conditioning. Then he tells me I have beautiful eyes. I was like, "oh, thanks. You do, too." Because he did. He was really cute, and had the light eyes and long eyelashes that always reel me in. He asked if i was Irish, and I told him I am, but I'm mostly Polish. He started talking about going to set again today, and that he was concerned it's not the role he wanted. He was told it would be a speaking role, but wasn't convinced. He also didn't want to waste his time in roles that weren't speaking roles. I only take the train two stops, so at this point, I was at my destination. He seemed shocked I was leaving so soon, but introduced himself right before I stood up from my seat and we shook hands.

As I was about to step off of the train, I wished him luck with his day.

He said, "Well let me know if you want to go out sometime. You have my e-mail address now."

No comments:

Post a Comment