Friday, June 27, 2014

America runs [from?] Dunkin'

During the time that my sister and I lived at home again after college, we took a late-night trip to Dunkin' Donuts after driving around the neighborhood (not low, as she would say). There were only about three people in line, and the older man directly in front of us was wearing a white T-shirt, jeans, a baseball cap, and had a holster on his hip with a gun in it. Not exactly the typical clientele for a Dunkin' Donuts in the middle of a highway in New Jersey. While the man didn't immediately seem like a threat, I didn't want to turn around and leave, fearing our departure would somehow set him off.

I patiently waited for my turn to order my strawberry frosted doughnut with rainbow sprinkles, avoiding any and all eye contact with my sister, knowing it would turn into a giggle fest. My sister kept trying to get my attention, but I stared straight ahead. Suddenly, my phone alerted me that I had a text message.

"Oh, a text message," I said aloud.

Glancing down at my phone, I saw this:

Sister: This man has a gun.

I busted out laughing once I saw Captain Obvious's matter-of-fact text message, and I tried to keep it as quiet as possible. OF COURSE I noticed the gun. It's not every day that you're in line at Dunkin' Donuts with a man that's packing heat proudly on his hip. This wasn't Texas. Luckily, the man already ordered at that point, and I was pretty sure we were in the clear. Once we got back to the car, we laughed uncontrollably, and to this day wonder why the man brought his gun on his Dunkin' run.

No comments:

Post a Comment